1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 16, 2020 10:56 AM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking history of Army Ordnance Ammunition Company


      I am seeking the history of an Army Ordnance Ammunition Company in Europe during WWII. My father was one of 6 white officers in an Ordnance Ammunition Company, comprised of 180 African American enlisted men.The unit had a commanding officer who was from Mississippi and treated the men accordingly.  That led to an altercation in England, just before the invasion.  Men were tried and jailed. I am trying to find out more about it.

        • Re: Seeking history of Army Ordnance Ammunition Company
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

          Dear Mr. Fitzgibbons,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

          If you do not know which specific company your father was assigned to during the incident, we suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for officers of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after June 1917 and prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  Veterans and their next of kin can also use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          However, due to the coronavirus public health emergency, National Archives research rooms and museums are closed to the public until further notice and the National Personnel Records Center is servicing only urgent requests related to homeless veterans, medical emergencies, and funerals which may be faxed to 314-801-0764.  We thank you for your patience and look forward to resuming normal operations when the public health emergency has ended.

          Once you know the specific unit, please contact History Hub again.


          We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!