1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 16, 2020 11:02 AM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking my father's military records


      I am seeking my father's USAF records. My father passed in 2000. All I know is he was a Staff Sergeant and was stationed in Japan as part of the policing action after the bombs were dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. I am his oldest child, where do i start??

        • Re: Seeking my father's military records
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

          Dear Ms. Howard,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 (to include the US Army Air Force) and the US Air Force who were separated from the service after June 1917 and prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  Next of kin can also use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. Please fill out these forms to the best of your knowledge. If there is anything you do not know, you can leave it blank or put in an estimate, however the more information you provide, the easier it will be for NPRC staff to locate the correct file. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          However, due to the coronavirus public health emergency, National Archives research rooms and museums are closed to the public until further notice and the National Personnel Records Center is servicing only urgent requests related to homeless veterans, medical emergencies, and funerals which may be faxed to 314-801-0764.  We thank you for your patience and look forward to resuming normal operations when the public health emergency has ended.


          Also, World War II Army Enlistment Records (documenting 1938 through 1946) are in the custody of the National Archives at College Park - Electronic Records (RDE) and are available via AAD (Access to Archival Databases) on the National Archives website at: https://aad.archives.gov/aad/fielded-search.jsp?dt=893&tf=F&cat=WR26&bc=,sl.  Please note that there are gaps in this database and not all soldiers who enlisted during this time period are included.  The easiest way to search for a specific individual is to search the name field using the format LASTNAME#FIRSTNAME. If you need assistance, please provide us his name and we can search for you.

          There may also be a listing for him in the the U.S., Department of Veterans Affairs BIRLS Death File, which should provide his dates of service if you do not already know them. This is available through Ancestry.


          We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!