3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2020 8:55 PM by Rebecca Collier

Seeking information about Dennis Sears & awards

Mary Dye Newbie

I am seeking detailed service records/info for my father (in country Dec 1969-Nov 1970).  Requested and received from NARA and only received generic stuff and even incomplete medal info on his DD214.  Something happened on June 20, 1970 for him to receive multiple medals.  I am trying to find out what and where... also looking to get a COMPLETE file for his time served.  If anyone knows anything, I would appreciate ANY help.

Here is what is listed on his paperwork:

• Company b , 4th battalion, 9th infantry, 25th infantry division 
      • A btry, first BN,  8th Arty, 25th infantry division
      • He was in with the "Manchu" and "Tropic Lightning" Divisions in 1970.
      • He said he was stationed most out of Cu Chi.
      • His name was Dennis Sears from St. Louis.  He passed away on the 4th of July last summer from an Agent Orange cancer.

Thank you!!

DSears photo

• Re: Seeking information about Dennis Sears & awards
          Elliot Schneider Navigator

Mary,

What other medals dose he have or thinking he should have. When you requested his Military file you need to request service members Full OMPF file. If you just ask for discharge papers or awards that's all you will receive. I suggest requesting "Full File" when you submit on the SF-180.

Also try reaching out to members of the 25th Infantry Division "Tropic Thunder" association. They usually have individuals that can offer assistance.

Elliot Schneider

• Re: Seeking information about Dennis Sears & awards
            Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Ms. Dye,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series Valorous Unit Awards, 1967 - 1971 In the Records of the U.S. Forces in Southeast Asia (Record Group 472) that includes the file unit Valorous Unit Awards - 4th Battalion, 9th Infantry, 25th Infantry Division - 1971. Even though the unit did not receive the award, the file includes a description of the action from 9 May 1970 to 21 June 1970 in Cambodia. The file unit is digitized and available using the Catalog. 

We also located 16 series in Record Group 472 that pertain to individual awards and the 25th Infantry Division during the Vietnam War. For access to these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

1 person found this helpful