2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2020 11:33 AM by Patrick Power

Seeking Dad's Navy ship information & pictures

Andrea Ramirez Newbie

I'm seeking the Navy ship information and pictures that my dad, Andrew G RAMIREZ, served on during WWII. His date of birth is January 7, 1923, How do I find this information?

• Re: Seeking Dad's Navy ship information & pictures
          Jason Atkinson Pioneer

Dear Ms. Ramirez,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). The OMPF should include a list of his assignments. OMPFs and medical records of enlisted men of the U.S. Navy who were separated from the service after 1885 and prior to 1958 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC.  Next of kin can also use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests. Please fill out the form to the best of your knowledge, to include full name and any variant names or spelling he may have used.  If there is any information you do not know you may leave it blank, however the more information provided, the easier it will be for NPRC to locate the correct file.

Due to the coronavirus public health emergency, National Archives research rooms and museums are closed to the public until further notice and the National Personnel Records Center is servicing only urgent requests related to homeless veterans, medical emergencies, and funerals which may be faxed to 314-801-0764.  We thank you for your patience and look forward to resuming normal operations when the public health emergency has ended.

We searched the U.S., Department of Veterans Affairs BIRLS Death File and found the following listing that may be a match for your father. We are providing it to you because the information may be useful when submitting your request for his OMPF.

Name:  Andrew Ramirez

Birth Date: 7 Jan 1923

Death Date: 16 Jul 1975

SSN: 452289677

Enlistment Date: 22 Feb 1943

Release Date: 13 Nov 1945

When operations return to normal and you have received a copy of his OMPF listing his assignments, the staff of the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) would be pleased to help locate records relating to any ships or other organizations with which he served.  You can email RDT2 at  archives2reference@nara.gov. Also, you may request a search for photographs of his Navy ship and activities dating from 1940 to 2007 that are in the custody of the National Archives at College Park - Still Picture (RDSS). Please contact RDSS via email at stillpix@nara.gov. Their web site is https://www.archives.gov/dc-metro/college-park/photographs-dc.html.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking Dad's Navy ship information & pictures
            Patrick Power Wayfarer

Andrea ~

Obtaining your father's Official Military Personnel File (OMPF) would indeed be helpful, but it's likely that there there are no photographs in the file. There is information, however, which might lead you to places where you can look, such as training installations. Once you have specific information with regard to his training and assignments, you might consider creating a saved search at eBay, because there are photos floating around out there that probably include him.

You might also consider obtaining the muster rolls from the ship(s) your father served upon, and locating the families of those with whom he served. I have come across a couple of photographs of my father that other sailors on his ship had that I had never seen before. I created a Facebook group for families of sailors who served on my father's ship, and while many of the members (representing about a hundred of the four hundred sailors that came and went during the ship's five-year commission as a Navy vessel) were invited after I located them, a few have found the group while doing similar searches for information about their fathers.