1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 16, 2020 8:39 AM by Holly Rivet

Seeking records of Robert Smith & James Smith

Rhonda Milstead Newbie

I had 2 cousins who served in Vietnam and a husband. They all came home but lives & lived with their demons. My cousins were Robert Smith & James Smith. If anyone can help me, I would appreciate it.

• Re: Seeking records of Robert Smith & James Smith
          Holly Rivet Scout

Dear Ms. Milstead,

Thank you for posting your question to the History Hub!

We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces during the Vietnam War are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Air Force personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued.

Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. You also may fax the form to 314-801-9195. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. Certain information in the records is not available to the general public without the written consent of the veteran or his next of kin. For more information see Request Military Service Records.

Please note that the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) has suspended reproduction and digitization services until further notice due to COVID-19. Orders will not be serviced until operations can resume safely. Once operations resume, document reproduction requests will be filled in the order in which they were received. We apologize for any inconvenience.

We hope this is helpful!

Sincerely,

Holly Rivet