1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 19, 2020 3:59 PM by Rebecca Collier

Seeking salvage reports & crew information

Jurgen NIJS Newbie

Hi, I'm researching the crash of B-17 42-107204 of the 95th BG on April 6, 1945 - killing all 9 members of the Robert L Davis-crew. My mother, who was 10 at the time,  saw the aircraft moments before it crashed in the Sonian Forest, south of Brussels (wrongly mentioned as Foret de Solgars in the accident report).   I've been able to reconstruct the history of the crew thanks to my correspondence with 7 of the families. And also in large part of the history of the aircraft, through correspondence with crewmembers of the 42 crews that flew over 80 missions with 42-107204.

I am however still missing some information about the salvage report of the 5th Strategic Air Depot. That unit was responsible for the salvage (probably from 6 to 8 or 9 April 1945). How and where can I find this salvage report and am I able to obtain a copy of the report.

Also, I would like to know the name of the crew that flew 42-107204 from Grenier to  Europe (leaving on April 20th 1944) and the serial number of the aircraft in which the Robert Davis crew flew to Europe (leaving probably on March 4, 1945) flying via Canada and Iceland. I was told this information could be found in the records of the Air Transport Command Ferrying Division or in those of the  8AF Service Command that kept monthly lists of replacement aircraft (Project Numbers) and their corresponding ferry crews by number block, of which  HQ AFSC should also have recorded the cross-reference, names to number blocks.

Can you help me find this information? Thank you in advance,

• Re: Seeking salvage reports & crew information
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Mr. Bredene,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located a series titled World War II Combat Operations Reports, 1941 - 1946 in the Records of the Army Air Forces ( Record Group 18) that includes the file unit 93rd Bomb Group: Mission Report April 6, 1945. It may include loading lists. For access to and/or copies of this/these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov. We were unable to locate records of the 5th Strategic Air Depot in RG 18.

RDT2 has custody of microfilm copies of operational records relating to U.S. Army Air Force/Air Force units.  We searched the Air Force History Index to the microfilm and located files of the 93rd Bomb Group on Reel B0189 (Frames 633 to 1885) and of the 5th Strategic Air Depot on Reel A0208 (Frame 401) & Reel A0211 (Frame 950). For access to and/or copies of the microfilm, please contact RDT2 via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

The National Air and Space Museum of the Smithsonian Institution has custody of a microfilm copy of the Air Force and Army Air Force aircraft history record cards.  The cards list a plane's serial number, place of manufacture, and manufacturer's contract number, and may include information for each month that the plane was in service, the place of assignment, cumulative flying hours, and any repairs or accidents.  They cover information from the date the plane was put into service to the date it was destroyed or withdrawn from service. For access to the microfilm, please contact the National Air and Space Museum Archives, 14390 Air & Space Museum Parkway, Chantilly, VA 20151 or email NASMRefDesk@si.edu.

World War II Army Air Force accident reports are in the custody of the Air Force Historical Research Agency, 600 Chennault Circle, Building 1405, Maxwell Air Force Base, AL  36112-6424. The web site is https://www.afhra.af.mil/.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

2 people found this helpful