1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 8, 2020 2:19 PM by Thomas Richardson

Seeking uncle's Army records

Don Hoggatt Newbie

My great uncle was in the Army and was stationed at Fort Assinniobine Reservation in 1910.  I think his service number was 1876932 but I'm not sure.  His name appears on the 1910 Montana census at Fort Assinniobine. That's as far as I have been able to go.  He was born in November 1887 in Sheridan, Dallas County, Missouri.  He spent time in Girard, Kansas sometime around 1905.

• Re: Seeking uncle's Army records
          Thomas Richardson Tracker

Dear Mr. Hoggatt,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and locate the series Enlistment Papers, 1798 - October 31, 1912 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1762 - 1917 (Record Group 94) that include military service files of the Regular Army.  We also located 3 series pertaining to Fort Assinniboine in the Records of U.S. Army Continental Commands (Record Group 393). To request a search of this series, please contact the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) via email at archives1reference@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff.  As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgment as well as a substantive response to your reference request by RDT1. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

For a history and photographs, please see Fort Assinnibone in Havre, Montana website.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!