1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 19, 2020 3:26 PM by Rebecca Collier

Seeking records of the 63rd Infantry Division

Thomas Montgomery Newbie

I am now researching the time the 776th Tank Destroyer Battalion was attached to the 63rd Infantry and approaching the Siegfried Line in March 1945.  I was hoping to find some of the documents to which he refers in his book.

I would appreciate any help you may offer.  This is a long term project and not necessary to respond quickly.  Perhaps, give me a few tools and leads and I can search the large databases in the Archives.

• Re: Seeking records of the 63rd Infantry Division
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Mr. Montgomery,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located a series titled Unit Histories, 1943 - 1967 in the Records of U.S. Army Operational, Tactical, and Support Organizations (World War II and Thereafter) (Record Group 338) that includes 11 file units of the 63rd Infantry Division for WWII. For access to these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

We were unable to search the World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1917-1981 (Record Group 407) for records of the 63rd Infantry Division with current resources available. For a search of the indexes to these records, please contact RDT2.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

1 person found this helpful