1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 14, 2020 11:15 AM by Holly Rivet

Searching for WWI service record of Sgt A H Haney

Kristy Shelton Newbie

My great uncle, Sgt. William Benjamin Gano, served as a scout and sniper in France during WWI. He served in the 357th Infantry, Co E and was killed by a sniper on September 22, 1918. He had made a pact with one of his army buddies, that should anything happen to one of them, they would visit the other's family. Will made the pact with Sgt. A. H. Haney of Tennessee Ridge, TN. I am in possession of two letters from Sgt. Haney, one to Will's parents and one to Will's fiancé, describing how Will was killed and offering his condolences. Sadly, I never found out if Sgt. Haney ever visited my great-grandparents after the war. I have several pictures of Will with his army buddies, but have no idea if one of them is A.H. Haney.

I have tried to look up Sgt. Haney in the WWI data base, but haven't been able to locate anything about him. I think it would be amazing to contact his family members and show them the letters that he wrote to my family from Germany. They may even know if Sgt. Haney actually visited my family in Oklahoma after the war. If you could find any records of Sgt. A.H. Haney, I would be glad to see them. Many thanks!

• Re: Searching for WWI service record of Sgt A H Haney
          Holly Rivet Scout

Dear Ms. Shelton,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located a series titled Records of Divisions, 1917 - 1920 in the Records of the American Expeditionary Forces (World War I) (Record Group 120) that includes the 90th Division and files of the 357th Infantry Regiment in Boxes 25-28. These files may include names of the soldiers in the 357th or describe the incident on September 22, 1918. For access to and/or copies of these files, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

We suggest that you request a copy of Haney's draft card. The Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 in the Records of the Selective Service System (World War I) (Record Group 163) are in the custody of the National Archives at Atlanta (RE-AT). For access to and/or copies of these records, please contact RE-AT via email at atlanta.archives@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in reciving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2 and RE-AT. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this information has been helpful!

Sincerely,

Holly Rivet

1 person found this helpful