1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 7, 2020 7:44 AM by Jason Atkinson

    Searching for Dave Waters


      Hi there- My father is turning 88. He had a close friend while serving on the USS Betelgeuse (AK-260) in the mid-1950's. Dave Waters is such a common name, i am trying to track him down for my dad. Thanks!

        • Re: Searching for Dave Waters
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

          Dear Ms. Brady,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

          We searched the National Archives Catalog and located Muster Rolls and Personnel Diaries of U.S. Navy Ships, Stations, and Other Naval Activities, 1/1/1949 - 12/31/1971 that should include muster rolls for the USS Betelgeuse (AK-260) and may provide information about Dave Waters such as his service number. For a copy of the muster roll, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at Archives2reference@nara.gov.


          Please note that the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) has suspended reproduction and digitization services until further notice due to COVID-19. Orders will not be serviced until operations can resume safely. Once operations resume, document reproduction requests will be filled in the order in which they were received. We apologize for any inconvenience.


          The National Archives does not have current addresses of former service personnel or their survivors on file.  The Federal agency most likely to have such addresses is the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). The VA can forward a message from you to the veteran, providing the veteran has filed a claim with VA, and they have an address on record. To forward a message, please write your message and place it in an unsealed, stamped envelope. Also include a note to the VA explaining who it is you are trying to reach and add as much identifying information as you have. Place all of this in another envelope addressed to the nearest Veterans Affairs Regional Office (you can find the address at https://www.va.gov/directory/guide/home.asp). If the veteran is in their records, your message to the veteran will be sealed and the envelope addressed to the address they have on file for the veteran. Please note that the veteran may not have informed the VA of a change of address, so they cannot guarantee receipt of your message. If the veteran receives your note, it is then up to the veteran to contact you.


          Also, you may wish to contact veteran associations that Dave Waters may be affiliated.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!