2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2020 4:23 PM by Desiree Williams

    Seeking military records of James Conley & Thomas Conley


      I am searching for WWI military records for my great uncles, James Richard Conley and Thomas J Conley. Thomas and James enlisted in the Army together during WWI.  James was 16 yrs old and Thomas was 18.  I believe that they enlisted 12 April 1917 in Coffeyville, KS.  Any assistance would be appreciated.

        • Re: Seeking military records of James Conley & Thomas Conley
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

          Dear Ms. Williams,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

          We suggest that you request a copy of their Official Military Personnel Files (OMPFs). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          However, due to the coronavirus public health emergency, National Archives research rooms and museums are closed to the public until further notice and the National Personnel Records Center is servicing only urgent requests related to homeless veterans, medical emergencies, and funerals which may be faxed to 314-801-0764.  We thank you for your patience and look forward to resuming normal operations when the public health emergency has ended.


          We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!


          1 person found this helpful