1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 6, 2020 12:10 PM by Thomas Richardson

Seeking medical records & OMPF from 1st enlistment on a submarine

ivan blake Newbie

Can I get medical records while serving on board a deploying submarine? I cannot seem to get my records from my 1st enlistment. I keep requesting them specifically but only receive records from my 2nd enlistment. I served on board a submarine during my 1st enlistment. I need my medical and personnel records from that enlistment.

• Re: Seeking medical records & OMPF from 1st enlistment on a submarine
          Thomas Richardson Tracker

Dear Mr. Blake,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Official Military Personnel Folders (OMPFs) and Service Treatment Records (STRs)  are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans can also use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Request Military Service Records.

If you served in the U.S. Navy after December 31, 1994, medical and personnel records will be held by the Department of Veterans Affairs or the Navy Personnel Command.  We recommend contacting the Navy Personnel Command Center or send a written request to the Department of Veterans Affairs, Records Management Center (VARMC), St. Louis, MO.  Their phone number is 1-888-533-4558.

Due to the coronavirus public health emergency, National Archives research rooms and museums are closed to the public until further notice and the National Personnel Records Center is servicing only urgent requests related to homeless veterans, medical emergencies, and funerals which may be faxed to 314-801-0764.  We thank you for your patience and look forward to resuming normal operations when the public health emergency has ended.

We hope this information is helpful!