1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 18, 2020 3:37 PM by Rebecca Collier Branched to a new discussion.

How do I find out about Cherokee Indian ancestry?

Beverly Nunnally Newbie

How do I go about finding out if I truly have Cherokee Ancestry? My maternal grandmother always told us her family's ancestry included Cherokee Indian background.  How do I prove/disprove this?

• Re: How do I find out about Cherokee Indian ancestry?
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Ms. Nunnally,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

The variety of census rolls created during the removal period begin in 1835 and the earlier ones often only list the head of household. Some registers for those who remained in the east and emigration rolls that date back to 1817 just list the head of household as well..

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located a series titled Eastern Cherokee Census Rolls, 1835-1884 in the Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs (Record Group 75) that has been digitized and is available via the Catalog.

We also located a series titled Census Rolls, 1815-1869 in Record Group 75 that has not been digitized or microfilmed. For access to and/or copies of this series, please contact the National Archives at Washington - Textual Reference (RDT1) via email at archives1reference@nara.gov and also inquire about other relevant BIA records.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

For more information, please review American Indian Records in the National Archives web pages.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

[Information provided by Cody White, Subject Matter Expert]

1 person found this helpful