3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2020 11:17 AM by Holly Rivet

Seeking military records of great-grandfather

Conor Bradley Newbie

Hi. I am trying to help one of my students track down military records belonging to her great grandfather. He fought in the Filipino Army in WWII. This is my first foray into researching military records and I would really appreciate some guidance. Thank you.

• Re: Seeking military records of great-grandfather
          Holly Rivet Scout

Dear Mr. Bradley,

Thank you for posting your question on History Hub!

The National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) holds the Philippine Army Files for the purpose of benefits of those who served and their families.  These files are separate from the Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF) series and do not have the same sorts of information collected. Some information you may find includes dates of service, citations awarded, biographical information, unit and organization which he served with, and correspondence. 

Many of the Philippine Army enlistments are recorded in the National Archives Access to Archival Databases (AAD) page.  Please see the sample values if you are having trouble locating him.  This enlistment record includes year of birth and enlistment, name as used by the military (misspellings and variations were common during this period), grade, branch, and more.

You may access this record by submitting a completed SF-180 to the National Personnel Records Center 1 Archives Drive St. Louis, Missouri 63138. For this request, please include that you are requesting this file under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) and that he served with the Philippine Army.  If you are able to locate his information in the AAD, include that in your request. If you cannot locate him in AAD, please provide as much information as possible including any alternate spellings of his surname.

We hope this information has been helpful!

Sincerely,

Holly Rivet

1 person found this helpful
              Conor Bradley Newbie

I forgot to mention that we only have a name. Nothing else so far. Information is fairly scant. Will this work? The student has zero supporting documents as far as I know,death certificates,etc  Many thanks

Holly Rivet Scout

Dear Mr. Bradley,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We suggest searching the National Archives Access to Archival Databases (AAD).  We modified the World War II Army Enlistment Records Fielded Search to include "Race and Citizenship".  From this category, please click "Select from Code List" and choose "Filipino, citizen" and "Filipino, not yet a citizen".  You then may search by the name, but please see the sample values prior to your search.  If you still cannot locate him, click the 'Clear Form' tab to broaden your search.  The information found in this record is everything needed to request his record.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

Sincerely,

Holly Rivet

1 person found this helpful