2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2020 6:35 AM by Alan Byrne

Seeking US diplomatic, NATO & military records

Alan Byrne Newbie

Hi, I am currently working on a project relating to Charles J. Haughey, who was leader of Ireland on a number of occasions between 1979 and 1992. Most of my research is based in Ireland and the UK, but I've been asked to try to find items that may be in the US archives.

I've read the FAQs and still can't really make sense of where to start. Most military stuff seems to be geared towards genealogy and service records. I'm also unfamiliar with where policy documents and diplomatic material may fall under. A trip in person to Washington or any other US archives is not an option at the moment, so the more of this that may be online the better. (I realise that it's probably not very much) Specifically I'd like to know where to begin to try to find information on the following :

• All the available material on the use of Shannon Airport (Ireland) by US military, notably, for the Iraq War in 1990.
      • Reports from US ambassadors to Ireland (and other US diplomatic staff based in Ireland) on discussions they had with Irish politicians from 1979 to 1992 and assessments they made on Ireland during that period.
      • Information on US government misgivings about the tax arrangements entered into by the Irish Government in respect of US multinationals established in Ireland. (Corporation Tax on multinationals is quite low in Ireland)
      • Any available – or reasonably accessible – material on US and Ireland’s non-participation in NATO and otherwise Ireland’s “neutrality”. (Ireland has a tradition of soft neutrality such as allowing the US Military use of Shannon Airport)

I also understand that there is a list of potential researchers for hire, but I'd like to rule out as much as can be done remotely first before I explore that option. Any help is much appreciated.

• Re: Seeking US diplomatic, NATO & military records
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Mr. Byrne,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located 1 series, 38 file units & 2 items for “Shannon Airport” during 1970s to 1990s in various record groups. Please review these and contact the NARA unit that has custody of the records

We also located 10 file units pertaining to “NATO AND Ireland” during the 1980s from the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library (LP-RR). Some of these file units are digitized. For access to the non-digitized records, please contact LP-RR via email at reagan.library@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from LP-RR and other NARA reference units. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

In addition, we searched NARA’s Access to Archival Databases and located the Central Foreign Policy Files, 7/1/1973 - 12/31/1979 in the General Records of the Department of State (Record Group 59) that includes electronic telegrams and an index. Any U.S. diplomatic records regarding Ireland after 1979 still are in the custody of the Department of State. For access to these records, please contact their FOIA Office.

Lastly, we suggest that you contact the NATO Archives for information about NATO and Ireland. Some of their records are available online.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

2 people found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking US diplomatic, NATO & military records
            Alan Byrne Newbie

Thank you Rebecca, I'll look into those links.

Very much obliged,

Alan