2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2020 11:29 AM by Elliot Schneider

    Seeking records of family member who served in National Guard


      How can I find out if a family member served in the National Guard?

        • Re: Seeking records of family member who served in National Guard
          Holly Rivet Tracker

          Dear Ms. Gilbert,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          Where National Guard records are held depend on if the service member was ever activated for duty.  If you are unsure or certain that they were never activated, please contact the  Adjutant General of the appropriate state using the addresses listed on the National Guard website at https://www.ngaus.org/state-national-guard-informationhttps://www.ngaus.org/states-territories/state-association-directory.


          If the service member was activated for duty, we recommend you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF).  This file will contain basic biographical information, correspondence, and training and movement during his time in the service. You may access this record by submitting a completed SF-180 to the National Personnel Records Center 1 Archives Drive St. Louis, Missouri 63138. Please include all of the information you provided in your post.


          Please note that the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) has suspended reproduction and digitization services until further notice due to COVID-19. Orders will not be serviced until operations can resume safely. Once operations resume, document reproduction requests will be filled in the order in which they were received. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.


          We hope this is helpful! Best of luck with your family research!



          Holly Rivet

          1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking records of family member who served in National Guard
            Elliot Schneider Ranger



            It depends on the state your relatives lived in. Each state has NG representatives to contact that can assist you depending on the state they served.



            Elliot Schneider

            1 person found this helpful