2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2021 7:24 AM by Shari LaBar

    Seeking military records of Charles Illtyd Herriotts

    Shari LaBar Newbie

      I am looking for info about my uncle, Charles Illtyd Herriotts who served in the Marines. He had many awards and memorabilia and would like to find a relative of his wife who may have them. My grandson is a Marine as well and would love for him to have them or take them to the Marine Museum.  He was a highly decorated Marine that fought in 3 wars.

        • Re: Seeking military records of Charles Illtyd Herriotts
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

          Dear Ms. LaBar,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          To learn more about your uncle’s military service and to include a list of his awards, we suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs of officers and enlisted personnel of the U.S. Marine Corps who were separated from service after 1904 and prior to 1999 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NRPC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC. For veterans who separated after 1958, certain information in the records is not available to the general public without the written consent of the veteran or his next of kin. For more information see Request Military Service Records.


          However, due to the coronavirus public health emergency, the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) is servicing only urgent requests related to homeless veterans, medical emergencies, and funerals that may be faxed to 314-801-0764. The staff of NPRC thanks you for your patience and looks forward to resuming normal operations when the public health emergency has ended.


          Official Military Personnel Files (OMPFs) for discharged, retired, or deceased U.S. Marine Corps personnel after December 31, 1998 are in the custody of the U.S. Marine Corps.  To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to Headquarters, U.S. Marine Corps, Manpower Management Support Branch (MMRP-10), 2008 Elliot Road, Quantico, VA 22134-5030.


          The National Archives does not have information on file regarding whereabouts of any relatives of veterans or their spouses.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!