4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 4, 2020 11:54 PM by Noah Orozco

Seeking interference case files & patent prosecution files from 1920s

Noah Orozco Newbie

Hi everyone. I'm researching the history of green screens/compositing and I've found what may be the first patents filed for green screen like technology! I found some interesting references to a patent interference case in the 1920s. Here's the information I have:

• Patent interference No 52327 in 1928
      • The interference was between these two applications:
        • Application of Frank D. Williams filed March 13, 1924 No. 698872
        • Application of Max Handscheigl filed Jan 2, 1923 No. 610334

I'm trying to see if there is any way I can get access to any documents related to this patent interference, especially briefs that the parties may have submitted. I'm also looking for the patent prosecution files for the two applications (698872 and 610334). Any guidance on how to find any additional documents would be amazing. Thanks!

• Re: Seeking interference case files & patent prosecution files from 1920s
          Jason Atkinson Pioneer

Dear Mr. Orozco,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located Patent Interference Case Files, 1838 - 1978 in the Records of the Patent and Trademark Office (Record Group 241) that includes Case no. 52327: Williams vs. Handschiegel vs. Crespinel vs. Pomeroy vs. Mitchell and Baker. For access to/ and/or copies of these records, please contact the National Archives at Kansas City (RM-KC) via email at kansascity.archives@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgment as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RM-KC. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

2 people found this helpful
              Noah Orozco Newbie

Thank you so much! This is exactly what I've been looking for its great that you took the time to help me.  I emailed the Kansas City Archives and am awaiting their response for these documents. I'm also searching for the files related to these two patent applications:

Application of Frank D. Williams filed March 13, 1924 No. 698872

Application of Max Handscheigl filed Jan 2, 1923 No. 610334

It would be great to find the "patent prosecution" files for these, I'm not sure if that would be included in the "patent case files" or not. Handscheigl's patent was approved and turned into US1840669 which I found on google patents, I'm not sure if Williams' patent was approved or not, it may have turned into us1273435. I'm having a hell of a time searching the National Archive Catalog, can you turn up any document pages related to applications 698872 and 610334? Thanks for your help I really appreciate it.

Jason Atkinson Pioneer

Dear Mr. Orozco,

Thank you for posting your follow up request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located Patent Case Files, 1/1/1836 - 12/31/1978 that are in Record Group 241 and also located at the National Archives at Kansas City. There are the same as patent prosecution files. Because of the large volume of these records (approximately 20.2 linear miles) most individual patent case files are not yet listed in our Catalog. RM-KC also can assist you with these records, however, as we mentioned in our previous reply, the current public health crises will significantly delay their ability to provide access to these files.

See National Archives Catalog Search Tips for advice on making the most effective use of our Catalog. Please note that not all of our records are described to the same level of detail, so sometimes searches for specific file numbers or documents are ineffective. Instead you may need to search for a record series that contains the types of records that you are searching for, or was created by the organization that dealt with the subject you are researching. Once you identify a records series that looks promising, you can then email the reference unit listed in the description.  See here for a list of all record series in Record Group 241.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

1 person found this helpful