5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2020 11:44 AM by joan stachnik

Seeking WWII Army records for Theodore Shingleton

Juanita Butts Newbie

I would love to be able to find out where my grandfather served during WWII. No one really talked about him to me because he came back from the war with major issues.  His name was Theodore Shingleton from Clarksburg, WV.  I have a copy of his draft card.  It has two numbers on it Serial Number 1807 and order number 2423.

• Re: Seeking WWII Army records for Theodore Shingleton
          Clarke Green Newbie

I'd like to see if I can help you. There are five records for the name Theodore Singleton here - https://aad.archives.gov/aad/display-partial-records.jsp?f=3475&mtch=5&q=theodore+singleton&cat=all&dt=893&tf=F Any information you have about where he served (pacific or europe) what branch of the service, (Navy, Army), Birth date and place, place he may have lived when drafted.  If you can post the draft card, there may be other clues on it.

Juanita Butts Newbie

Thank you!  None of those entrys look like him.  He was born in 1918 in West Virginia.  It has his Army number and it says Enlistment for Hawaiian Department. 

Clarke Green Newbie

That's an interesting record. He enlisted in August of 1941, prior to the December 7th attack on Pearl harbor, in the field artillery. The Hawaiian Department included (so far as I can tell ) the 24th and 25th Infantry Divisions that were stationed in Schofield Barracks on Oahu. This narrows your search quite a bit, you have a good idea of where he was and the division he served in.

I am no professional, but I spent a great deal of time looking for more information about when and where my father served. The folks at NARA are very helpful. You may find his records there, but many individual Army records were destroyed in a fire in the 1970's. The other resource other is morning reports (daily reports issued by army units) you'd want to hire a researcher to see if they could find him mentioned in these reports, that would confirm where he was and the specific unit in which he served.

The other amazing resource is the Donovan Research Library at Ft. Benning. A quick search of their holdings shows a number of papers written by officers in the 24th and 25th Divisions after the war. https://www.benning.army.mil/Library/Donovanpapers/wwii/index.html If you go to the page and search for "24th" and "25th" in the titles you'll find about a dozen or so papers. You'd have to look through each individually to see if your Grandfather is mentioned by name (he became a Sergeant  correct?) it's a slim chance but at the same time you'll get an idea of the sorts of things these soldiers went through.

joan stachnik Scout

HI, not sure if this is of any help, but I was able to find the following information regarding "Enlistment for Hawaiian Department". joan

"Between 1913 and 1945 that portion of the Army assigned to the defense of the Hawaiian Islands was called the Hawaiian Department, one of three territorial commands in the Army, the other two being the Philippine Department and the Panama Canal Department.

The departments were administrative organizations which were responsible for the administration, planning, training, and supplying of the field forces, in the case of the Hawaiian Department, the Hawaiian Division, which was resigninated the 24th Infantry Division during World War II. As reinforcements arrived in the Department another division, the 25th Infantry Division was formed."

Holly Rivet Scout

Dear Ms. Butts,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Access to Archival Databases Electronic Army Serial Number Merged File, ca. 1938-1946 (Enlistment Records)  Using the name value "#shingleton#", we located a Theodore Shingleton of Harrison County, WV, year of birth was  1918, with an Army serial number of 15069832. You may view his record of enlistment here.  If this is the same man, we recommend you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF) by submitting a completed SF-180to the National Personnel Records Center 1 Archives Drive St. Louis, Missouri 63138.

The Serial and Order Numbers you have from the WWII Draft Registration Card are used to locate the corresponding Classification Ledger.  This ledger was used to classify a man's qualification to be drafted. It may contain date and results of armed forces physical examination, entry into active/reserve duty, date of separation, and general remarks.  You may order a duplication of the Classification Ledger entry using the Selective Service Request Form.

Please note that the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) has suspended reproduction and digitization services until further notice due to COVID-19. Orders will not be serviced until operations can resume safely. Once operations resume, document reproduction requests will be filled in the order in which they were received. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.

We hope this is helpful! Best of luck with your family research!

Sincerely,

Holly Rivet

2 people found this helpful