1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 2, 2020 10:54 AM by Sylvia Naylor

Seeking post-WWII testing records of ME 262B-1a/U1

Mikael Gersel Newbie

Hi, I am looking for help to locate information on the night fighter ME 262B-1a/U1 that was ferried to the US from German after WWII and tested in the US after WWII. It was allocated the tail number FE-610, the original Werk number was 110306. Are there any test reports?

• Re: Seeking post-WWII testing records of ME 262B-1a/U1
          Sylvia Naylor Adventurer

Dear Mr. Gersel,

Thank you for posting your question on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog for “ME-262.”  The search produced the following results.  We would especially recommend looking into the records located in the series titled “Central Decimal Correspondence Files, 1919-1950” in the Records of U.S. Air Force Commands, Activities, and Organizations (Record Group 342) as it may contain records of interest to you.

The main U.S. efforts to study the ME-262 after the war were conducted by Technical Intelligence, T-2, Air Material Command, Wright Field, Dayton.  We searched the National Archives Catalog for “Air Material Command” and “Technical Intelligence” in the Records of Headquarters U.S. Air Force (Air Staff) (Record Group 341).  We also used these keywords to search for any records in Record Group 342. The search results can be found here and here. Please contact the reference unit listed in each series description.

Also, you might want to read a two part blog post on the ME-262 written by Dr. Greg Bradsher and available online here and here.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from the various NARA reference units. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this information is useful.  Best of luck with your research!