3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2020 8:58 PM by Wain Reed

Seeking hospital records for Irel B Reed

Wain Reed Newbie

My father, Irel B. Reed CSM RA 6984025, is buried at Arlington Sec 76 Grave 355). He told the story of having been wounded by German 88 fire during the battle of the Harlange pocket. He proudly wore the Presidential Unit Citation. He said he was sent back to a hospital. He said they took out the shrapnel, but were going to keep him at the hospital. He said he knew that would mean he would not be able to get back to his unit, 6th Cavalry  Hqs & Hqs Company so he left the hospital, found a fuel truck headed to the front, and got back to his unit. He said his commander who I believe he said was Col. Whiskey Joe Fickett said that he had been reported as AWOL from the hospital. My dad said the Col took care of everything. I am looking for any records that might mention my dad as having been cared for at the hospital or any records that might mention him as AWOL. Does the Surgeon General have the records for the hospitals that cared for the soldiers in the Harlange Pocket? Thank you.

• Re: Seeking hospital records for Irel B Reed
          Elliot Schneider Navigator

Mr. Reed,

Have you tried requesting his full military file yet. Use the SF-180 form or request online vetrecs.

Elliot Schneider

• Re: Seeking hospital records for Irel B Reed
            Holly Rivet Tracker

Dear Mr. Reed,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

The Official Military Personnel File (OMPF) will contain reports from officers including record of AWOL.  Please submit a completed SF-180 to  the National Personnel Records Center 1 Archives Drive St. Louis, Missouri 63138.  Please indicate that you would like a copy of the OMPF as well as any medical treatment files that have been retired to the NPRC. 

Please note that the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) has suspended reproduction and digitization services until further notice due to COVID-19. Orders will not be serviced until operations can resume safely. Once operations resume, document reproduction requests will be filled in the order in which they were received. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.

We hope this is helpful!

Sincerely,

Holly Rivet

1 person found this helpful