1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 24, 2020 1:32 PM by Rebecca Collier

Seeking Army courts-martial case records

Mark Shultz Newbie

My father was convicted in an Army courts-martial in the 1974 - 1980 time frame.  He was sentenced to prison at Ft. Leavenworth (where he served about 7 years) and dishonorably discharged.  While I find records before this time frame, and some after this time frame, I have been unable to locate any Army courts martial case records in the 1974 - 1980 time frame online.  Any ideas?

• Re: Seeking Army courts-martial case records
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Mr. Shultz,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

U.S. Army general courts-martial (GCM) records from 1917 to 1976 are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL). For access to the records, please contact RL-SL via email at stl.archives@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgment as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RL-SL. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

U.S. Army general courts-martial records after 1976 are in the custody of the Army. For access to these records, please contact the Office of Clerk of Court, U.S. Army Court of Criminal Appeals, ATTN: JALS-CCZ, 9275 Gunston Road, Building 1450, Fort Belvoir, VA 22060-5546. 

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your search!

2 people found this helpful