1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 23, 2020 9:21 AM by Jason Atkinson

Seeking records of the Bureau of Pensions & its Predecessors

Kathleen Thompson Newbie

I was supposed to be at the National Archives this week doing research for my book. The pension records I know that I will have to wait until they are open again to see, but I was also going to look at records from RG 15 - Records of the Bureau of Pensions and its Predecessors 1805-1935. I am trying to do more research about the process of the pension system and how they set up guidelines for who was or was not eligible. Anyone know if some records have been digitized, or have suggestions on things I can access while we are all stuck at home?

• Re: Seeking records of the Bureau of Pensions & its Predecessors
          Jason Atkinson Navigator

Dear Ms. Thompson,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Record Group 15 is now Records of the Department of Veterans Affairs, 1773 - 2007 and includes predecessor agencies such as the Bureau of Pension.  The easiest way to see all the digitized records in this record group is to begin with NARA’s Record Group Explorer page for this record group and then click on various categories of records.  To see a list of all record series in this record group, to include those not yet digitized, click on the blue “Explore” button under the heading. Our work isn't finished yet. NARA has more digitizing to do.”  You also can search the National Archives Catalog by going through the Advanced Search menu that allows you to filter by specific record groups, record types, date ranges, etc.

The bulk of these records are in the custody of the  National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1). Please contact RDT1 via email at archives1reference@nara.gov. You may wish to email them with more details about your specific research interests so they may suggest the record series that would be the most responsive to your needs.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff.  As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgment as well as a substantive response to your reference from the RDT1 staff. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience. 

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!