3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2020 9:42 AM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking military records of Raymond Hauck


      My grandfather was drafted and went to Fort Snelling. His name was Raymond Hauck and date of birth was 10/18/1926 and military service number on his draft card was 391126261. I was always told he never got drafted due to a blood issue. So he has now passed on and doing family history several people have stated that he was not selected to military duty due to a mental issue and was hospitalized.  None of my family knew this and now are curious what really went on for peace of mind. I have not been unable to find any information and would like to solve this mystery for our family's sake.

        • Re: Seeking military records of Raymond Hauck
          Jason Atkinson Guide

          Dear Ms. Zimmerman,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We searched the National Archives Catalog and located Draft Registration Cards for South Dakota, 10/16/1940 - 3/31/1947 in the Records of the Selective Service (Record Group 147) that includes a card for Raymond Hauck, born 18 October 1926. We are attaching a copy. Not all persons who registered for the draft enlisted in the military. We also searched the World War II Army Enlistment Records database on Access to Archival Databases for Hauck, Raymond. While none of the results are a perfect match for the information you provided, there are some that are similar.  However, there are gaps in the database, so some persons who enlisted during this time period are omitted.


          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. You can also fax the form to 314-801-9195. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          We also suggest that you request a copy of his selective service classification ledger.  Classification Ledgers (SSS Form 102), also known as a Classification History, chronicle the status of each man’s eligibility, exemptions, tests, entry, and final disposition from service.  The codes for these classification ledgers can be found on the Selective Service System’s website.  Supplementary information provided by registrants (medical records, school enrollment forms, or other documents supporting reasons for classifications) was not considered permanent record material and as such was not retained by the Selective Service Commission.  For example, the National Archives cannot provide documentation or a reason for why someone was classified as “4F”. To access draft registration cards or classification ledgers for 1940 – 1975, please fill out the Selective Service System Records Request form and send it to: National Archives & Records Administration, National Archives - St. Louis, ATTN: RL-SL P.O. Box 38757. For more information see Selective Service Records.


          We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

          2 people found this helpful