1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 18, 2020 11:29 AM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking military records of Paul Womatopoulos


      My father, Paul Womatopoulos, served in WWI and died on 12/11/55. How can I find any information about his military service?  I am orphaned at a young age and I am hoping to find information about my father.  He was honored at his funeral with a flag over his coffin but I have no information on his service.  I would appreciate any help I can get.

        • Re: Seeking military records of Paul Womatopoulos
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

          Dear Ms. Venetos,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and who were separated from the service prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Army Air Corps personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. You can also fax the form to 314-801-9195. Next of kin also can use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!