1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 13, 2020 11:31 AM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking photograph of dad during his service in the Army


      I am trying to find a picture of my dad in his Army uniform during WWll. Is there anyplace that would have that picture?

        • Re: Seeking photograph of dad during his service in the Army
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

          Dear Ms. Olberding,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          The "official" photograph of an individual is not considered to be permanent federal records by the respective military services and is not retained in a separate collection by the service. If the photograph you are seeking still exists, it will most likely be found in the individual's Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). However, there is no guarantee the photograph will be present.


          OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Army and who were separated from the service prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Army Air Corps personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. You can also fax the form to 314-801-9195 OR view the record by visiting the NPRC Archival Research Room in St. Louis, MO. Veterans and their next of kin can also use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Photographs of various U.S. Army activities dating from 1940 to 2007 are in the custody of the National Archives at College Park - Still Picture (RDSS). While these records do not include photographs of all soldiers and all units, there are many photographs and some have captions identifying the soldiers depicted by name and/or unit.  Please contact RDSS via email at stillpix@nara.gov. Their web site is https://www.archives.gov/dc-metro/college-park/photographs-dc.htm


          Some Army organizations, veterans of Army organizations, and historians published unofficial books detailing the history of specific units during the war that sometimes included photographs of some of the soldiers in the unit.  You may wish to search WorldCat, the Internet Archive, Google Books, and other online and library resources for books about your father’s unit.


          Many local newspapers carried stories and pictures about some (through by no means all) of the soldiers from their area that served during the war. You may wish to search online newspaper archives as well as check local papers and local libraries for access to back issues.

          Some local and state libraries, museums, and historical societies also collected material about Army installations in their area that may include photographs of some of the soldiers assigned to that installation.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!