3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2021 3:20 PM by Jason Atkinson

Seeking additional records of the 945th Anti-Artillery Regiment

Thomas Arnhold Newbie

I am looking for records of the 2nd Battalion, 198th Anti-Artillery Regiment and the 2nd Battalion, 945th Anti-Artillery Regiment during World War II. My dad, Richard A. Arnhold, was in these units. I am trying to find out what battery he was in and any other information concerning the units. I have already received his personnel records from St. Louis and obtained the unit histories from the National Archives.

• Re: Seeking additional records of the 945th Anti-Artillery Regiment
          Lisha Penn Pioneer

Dear Mr. Arnhold,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Since you already have unit records for both units, we suggest that you request access to and/or copies of the unit rosters and morning reports. Copies of most of the monthly rosters (from November 1912 - 1943 & 1947 - 1959) and morning reports (from November 1, 1912 to 1959) for Army units are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL). For access to these records, please write to the National Archives at St. Louis, ATTN: RL-SL, P.O. Box 38757, St. Louis, MO 63138-0757 or via email at stl.archives@nara.gov.

Please note that rosters for Army units serving in World War II from 1944 - 1946 were destroyed in accordance with Army disposition authorities.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

Thomas Arnhold Newbie

Some time ago I asked the following on History Hub and you replied. For the past 16 months I have been waiting for the National Archives at St. Louis to reopen so I can research this and I have also asked them to send me the information. Unfortunately, while literally every other government agency seems to have reopened, the National Archives at St. Louis has not.  Any suggestions on how I can get the morning reports I am seeking? I am looking for records of the 2nd Battalion, 198th Anti-Artillery Regiment and the 2nd Battalion, 945th Anti-Artillery Regiment during World War II. My dad, Richard A. Arnhold, was in these units. I am trying to find out what battery he was in and any other information concerning the units. I have already received his personnel records from NPRC in St. Louis and obtained the unit histories from the National Archives at College Park.

Jason Atkinson Guide

Dear Mr. Arnhold,

Thank you for posting your follow request on History Hub!

There are no alternate sources for the morning reports. For more information about these records, please contact the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL) at stl.archives@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RL-SL. Please check NARA’s web page about COVID-19 updates for the latest information.

We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.