1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 11, 2020 8:40 AM by Lisha Penn

Seeking a copy of my deceased grandfather's naturalization certificate

Marie jackson Newbie

I need a copy of my deceased grandfather's naturalization record from NARA. 

• Re: Seeking a copy of my deceased grandfather's naturalization certificate
          Lisha Penn Navigator

Dear Ms. Jackson,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

If his naturalization took place in a Federal court, naturalization indexes, declarations of intention (with any accompanying certificates of arrival), and petitions for naturalization will usually be in the National Archives facility serving the state in which the Federal court is located.

To ensure a successful request with the National Archives your request should include:

• Name of petitioner (including known variants)
          • Date of birth
          • Approximate date of entry to the United States
          • Approximate date of naturalization
          • Where the individual resided at the time of naturalization (city/county/state)
          • Country of origin

In most cases, the National Archives will not have a copy of the certificate of citizenship. Two copies of the certificate were created – one given to the petitioner as proof of citizenship, and one forwarded to the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS).

You can place a request with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) Genealogy Program at www.uscis.gov/genealogy to obtain a copy of the certificate of citizenship as the agency maintains the historic INS record series where certificates were filed.

You may wish to review NARA’s Naturalization Records website to learn more about these records.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

[Information provided by Elizabeth Burnes, Subject Matter Expert]