3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2020 12:29 PM by Jason Atkinson

Seeking to digitize Historical Aerial Photograph

Nur Ihsan Newbie

After searching the online catalog of NARA, I found some overlay indexes document containing information about historic aerial photographs covering my project's area of interest. An article at NARA website also mentioned a small collection of Japanese aerial photograph which covering parts of Southeast Asia. I am planning to visit NARA Cartographic Research Room to digitize those particular collections. I have read the guidance for visitors provided on NARA website but I can not find any specific information regarding visitors from overseas. There are other options such as hiring archives researcher but as part of my professional development, I intend to do it by myself.  In relation to that, is there any specific arrangement needed for a foreign researcher to visit and digitize the aerial photograph collection at NARA? It would be a great help for me if I can get a guidance to plan my visit there. Thank you very much in advance.

• Re: Seeking to digitize Historical Aerial Photograph
          Jason Atkinson Pioneer

Dear Mr. Ihsan,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

For the types of records you wish to research, rules regarding access, copying, and use of records are the same regardless of the nationality of the researcher.  For specific questions about the records and the procedures for using them, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Cartographic (RDSC) via email at carto@nara.govAlthough it is not required to contact RDSC in advance, we strongly suggest doing so to make sure you may scan the records you seek and that there will be no unexpected complications. 

When you arrive at the National Archives at College Park, you will be required to show a government-issued identification with a photograph. Your passport will meet this requirement.  As part of researcher registration, you also will be required to provide the address of the location in the United States where you are staying.

There may be certain restrictions on entry into the United States due to the ongoing COVID-19 outbreak.  Please see the U.S. Department of State’s travel website under the heading “Presidential Proclamation on Novel Coronavirus” for more information, and continue to monitor the website for updates. 

Also, although the National Archives at Seattle has closed its research rooms because of the COVID-19 outbreak, the National Archives at College Park that you will be visiting remains open, without any special restrictions on international travelers.  Please continue to monitor our website and official social media channels for updates.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

1 person found this helpful