6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2020 11:25 AM by joan stachnik

Trying to determine if Giuseppe Dragonetti become a U.S. citizen

John Dragonetti Newbie

Greetings, I am researching whether my paternal grandfather ever naturalized and became a U.S. citizen. My research so far leads me to believe that he never naturalized.  It is important for me to prove that my grandfather never naturalized in order to satisfy a request by the Italian consulate. Giuseppe Vincenzo Dragonetti would have come to the U.S. in 1894 from Anzi, Italy, a small town in the province of Potenza, Italy. He married while in Italy, October 8, 1891 to Rosa Pasquale and had two children. Emigrated to the U.S. and died in New York City, September 23, 1908. Any direction and or advice on proving or disproving naturalization would be greatly appreciated.

• Re: Trying to determine if Giuseppe Dragonetti become a U.S. citizen
          joan stachnik Scout

Hi John, Familysearch.org (free after registration) has a 1905 New York census. It includes a Joseph Dragonetti (age 34, occupation bartender, and living in the US for 12 years), wife Rose, and daughter Mary (all born in Italy) and three sons (Michael, Dominic, and Rocco [all born in the US]). Joseph, his wife and daughter are listed as "Aliens" under citizenship in the 1905 census. If this is the right person, it might limit your search for citizenship papers to between 1905 and 1908, if he ever applied. Hope this is of some help. joan

1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Trying to determine if Giuseppe Dragonetti become a U.S. citizen
            Lisha Penn Navigator

Dear Mr. Dragonetti,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We suggest that you submit a request to obtain a Certification of Non-Existence of a Record of Naturalization from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). To request a certificate of non-existence of a specific record, please write directly to the USCIS Records Services at the address below. Your request must include your grandfather Giuseppe Dragonetti’s:

• Name (including all variants and aliases)
            • Date of birth
            • Place of birth
            • When & where he arrived in or lived in the U.S. The names of immediate immigrant relatives can also be helpful.

If his birth date is less than 100 years before the request date, you must also include a copy of his birth or death certificate. Please mail your request to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, Attn: Certification of Non-Existence, 1200 First Street NE 2nd Floor, Washington, D.C. 20529-2204. USCIS does not accept original requests through e-mail and will only mail certificates to U.S. addresses. If you have any questions, email certificateofnonexistence@uscis.dhs.gov.

We also suggest that you search New York State Archives: Genealogy; and New-York Historical Society websites for a copy of your grandfather’s death certificate.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

[Some information provided by Elizabeth Burnes, Subject Matter Expert]

3 people found this helpful