1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 11, 2020 11:13 AM by Jason Atkinson

    How to return health records to the military?


      I currently have possession of my military health records. I need to get them back in the system. How do I return them to the military?

        • Re: How to return health records to the military?
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

          Dear Mr. Kelly,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

          Although veterans are often given copies of their health records upon separation, there should be a record copy on file with the federal government. The location of this file would depend on your branch of service and when you separated from service.  Health files for personnel who separated through the early 1990s should be in the National Personnel Records Center.  For persons that separated at a latter date, the files may be with the Department of Veterans Affairs or with their branch of service.  See Veterans' Medical and Health Records for more details.


          If you believe that the records in your possession may be the only copies of the records, please contact the NPRC Customer Service Team at 314-801-0800, between 7:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. CST.  Let them know that you would like to retire records to NPRC.


          If you are filing a claim for medical benefits with the Department of Veteran Affairs or seeking medical treatment through Tricare, please contact the nearest office for those organizations and work with them to determine if they already have access to a record copy of your health records, and if the documents in your possession have any unique information that they need to provide medical services to you. 


          We hope this information is helpful.

          2 people found this helpful