1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 4, 2020 10:52 AM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking proof of service WWII to get Presidential certificate


      Hello, I would like to surprise my husband with a Presidential Certificate for his father's WWII service.  The form is requesting proof of service to get the certificate. How do I find this information please?

        • Re: Seeking proof of service WWII to get Presidential certificate
          Jason Atkinson Guide

          Dear Ms. Hipley,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest that you request a copy of his father’s Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and who were separated from the service prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Army Air Corps personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. You can also fax the form to 314-801-9195 OR view the record by visiting the NPRC Archival Research Room in St. Louis, MO. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          We hope this is helpful.