1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 3, 2020 1:35 PM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking replacement of father's awards


      I just received my father's military records today. He was in Vietnam and I noticed he received a couple of medals and awards. I would like to have those if possible. He was in the army. Can anyone point me in the right direction please? He has been deceased for two years now.

        • Re: Seeking replacement of father's awards
          Jason Atkinson Guide

          Dear Ms. Birdsong,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          For Army personnel, NARA's National Personnel Records Center will verify the awards to which a veteran is entitled and forward the request with the verification to the appropriate Army department for issuance of the medals.  For requesting medals and awards, please use eVetRecs on NARA’s website at https://vetrecs.archives.gov/VeteranRequest/home.html or complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and send it to NARA's Military Personnel Records, National Personnel Records Center, 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Provide as much information as possible in Section II under "other." 


          The Army provides replacement medals to veterans and next-of-kin at no cost.  For the purpose of replacing medals, the Army defines next-of-kin as the surviving spouse, eldest offspring, father or mother, eldest sibling or eldest grandchild. For more information, see https://www.archives.gov/veterans/replace-medals.


          We hope this is helpful.


          1 person found this helpful