2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2020 9:58 AM by Lisha Penn

    Seeking WWII Marine Corps Unit information


      Does anyone know what "Co L MTR Bn Hqs" means and where I can find out more about this WWII Marine Corps unit?  I've googled it and haven't been able to find any concrete info. Found it on a relative's Pennsylvania Veterans Burial Card. Thank you!

        • Re: Seeking WWII Marine Corps Unit information
          Alex Daverede Adventurer



          “MTR Bn Hqs” stands for the Headquarters Company, Motor Transport Battalion.  There was one motor transport battalion in each of the 6 Marine Divisions and the 2 Marine Amphibious Corps.  I cannot say for sure whether Co L. (Love Company) was the designation for the headquarters company of the MT battalion—normally headquarters companies in Marine battalions were known as headquarters and service companies without a letter designation.


          I will leave to the archivists and archives specialists in the History Hub community to speak about the availability of records for World War II Marine MT battalions.


          I Hope you find this information useful.


          A. J.

          1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking WWII Marine Corps Unit information
            Lisha Penn Navigator

            Dear Ms. Baer,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            In order to provide you with information about his unit, we would need the complete Marine unit designation.


            To determine the Marine Corps unit, we suggest that you request a copy of your relative’s Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and medical records of officers and enlisted personnel of the U.S. Marine Corps who were separated from service after 1904 and prior to 1958 are located at NARA’s National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO 63138-1002. To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC. You can also fax the form to 314-801-9195 OR view the record by visiting the NPRC Archival Research Room in St. Louis, MO. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!