2 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2020 11:26 PM by Lawana Puderer

Seeking History of my property?

Trisha Dertinger Newbie

Hi there I am wondering if there is any way to get the history of my property?

• Re: Seeking History of my property?
          Marene Baker Adventurer

Typically the best place to start when looking for the history of a property is with the County Assessor’s office. They should be able to give a fairly good listing of who owned the property over time.  Their older records may have been retired to the City or State Archives or Historical Society so don’t be surprised if they refer you to those organization, or simply tell you they don’t have records after that a certain date, even if the property is older.  Another great place to check is your local public library.  Please keep in mind that because  20 states that were never a public domain state the records will not be in the National Archives.  The 20 states include the original 13 colonies and Hawaii, Kentucky, Maine, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, and West Virginia.  You can also look on the census records as well to find names associated with time period.

1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking History of my property?
            Lawana Puderer Newbie

I've always found the online Bureau of Land Management Records to be most helpful