3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2020 1:24 PM by Jason Atkinson

Seeking military personnel records for great-grandfather

Walter Mainieri Newbie

I am unable to figure out how to obtain the military personnel records of my great grandfather. He was a sailor during WWI, enlisting 5 May 1917 and being honorably discharged 31 July 1920.

• Re: Seeking military personnel records for great-grandfather
          Jason Atkinson Pioneer

Dear Mr. Mainieri,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and medical records of enlisted men of the U.S. Navy who were separated from the service after 1885 and prior to 1958 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC.  You also may fax the form to 314-801-9195 OR view the record by visiting the NPRC Archival Research Room in St. Louis, MO. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

2 people found this helpful
              Walter Mainieri Newbie

Thanks for your quick response. I do hope that my follow up question is appropriate in this particular forum.

As I look at the GSA Standard Form 180 from the link you provided, I see that, under section II, it asks what documents I'd be asking about. Since I already have his discharge paper and honorably discharge certificate I wonder if this form would be helpful in finding out what ship(s) he was assigned to while in the Navy.

I found a newspaper article in which he is interviewed about serving for about one and a half years in a destroyer and crossing the Atlantic ocean at least 22 times but there is no mention of the ship(s) he was in. Is this something that I would be able to find out about? What form would I find this information in? Thanks for your time.

Jason Atkinson Pioneer

Dear Mr. Mainieri,

Thank you for posting your follow-up request on History Hub!

We suggest that you check “Other” and state that you would like his full record. Please also check the box that you are requesting a copy of the record for genealogy purposes.  The service jacket will document each ship or station to which he was assigned during the time of his service.

We hope this information is helpful.

3 people found this helpful