1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 26, 2020 8:36 AM by Lisha Penn

Seeking squadron graduation picture

Mike Hernandez Newbie

I enlisted in USAF and entered training at Lackland Air Force Base on 2 May 1973. I remember we took a picture as a squadron just right before graduation. I can't recall the date the picture was taken nor what date we graduated. Graduation would have been sometime around June or July 1973. I was in the 3710th  Basic Military Training Squadron. I was laid up in the hospital because of the measles the day our squad went to pick up pictures. After a couple of days I was released, but had to go straight to my squadron to pack and get on the bus to the airport for my next station (Tech School). Just wondering if there is an archive somewhere that I could go look for this picture. Thanks for your help.

• Re: Seeking squadron graduation picture
          Lisha Penn Navigator

Dear Mr. Hernandez,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Although there may be group photographs intermingled with textual records of the units, they are not considered permanent records unless the photographs were taken by the Air Force or other official military photographers usually for publicity. These photographs were considered permanent records are part of the photograph collections in the custody of the National Archives at College Park - Still Pictures (RDSS). Please contact RDSS via email at stillpix@nara.gov.

Sometimes, the instructors of a training facility paid for a civilian photographer to come to the base to take pictures. These photographs sometimes are filed in the records of the unit but oftentimes they are just distributed to the individual members with no permanent copy kept.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research.