2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2020 5:04 AM by Guillem Casañ

Seeking records about Harry Wilkes

Guillem Casañ Newbie

Good morning!  I am doing research about the Spanish Civil War (1936-1939) and the International Brigades Medical Services. I am looking for records about American pharmacist Harry Wilkes who died in Spain in not all clear circumstances, according to my opinion. The guide: "Spain Internal Affairs 1930-1939" informs that the U.S. State Department has information about him in the following references 2:1047, 61:0881. Is that part of the Department of State, Central Files: Spain? How can I get copy or access to those documents? I would appreciate your help. Thanks in advance.

• Re: Seeking records about Harry Wilkes
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Mr. Casan,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the internet and located the University Publications of America (UPA) microfilm pamphlet titled "Spain Internal Affairs 1930-1939". The pamphlet indicates that on Roll 2, Frame:1047 and Roll 61, Frame: 0881 of the microfilm publication includes information pertaining to Harry Wilkes. You or your representative may view this UPA microfilm publication in NARA’s Microfilm Reading Room (Room 4050) at the National Archives in College Park, MD.  Reading room hours are 8:45 a.m. to 5:45 p.m. Monday through Friday, except legal holidays. Prior to your visit, please consult our web site at https://www.archives.gov/dc-metro/college-park/.

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series Name Index, 1910 - 1973 in the General Records of the Department of State (Record Group 59) that includes two index cards for Harry Wilkes. With that information, we searched the 1930-1939 segment of the Central Decimal Files, 1910-1963 in Record Group 59 and located a 1-page document filed under the designation “852.48 - Relief - Regis, Medical Bureau to Aid Spanish Democracy/16” (Box 6463, Loc: 250/29/35/7) and 10 pages of documents filed under the designation “852.2221 - Wilkes, Harry/1” (Box 6450, Loc: 250/29/35/5). For access to and/or copies of these documents, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov. Please provide RDT2 with the Record Group number, series title, file designations, box numbers, location and number of pages.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

2 people found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking records about Harry Wilkes
            Guillem Casañ Newbie

Dear Ms. Collier,

You help made today a red-letter day!!

Thank you so much for your assistance. Somehow I didn't know where to go or how to start in these archives.

As you suggest, I am going to send an e-mail to the Texttual Reference with the information you mention.

Just hope I'll receive the copies on time before the text is published!

Thanks again for your precious and generous aid, and I'll be happy to help you too.

Best wishes,

Guillem Casañ