1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 27, 2020 12:08 PM by Hannah Bingham

Seeking ship logs of SS John Hay & SS John P Poe

Eirill Seim Newbie

Hi! I am interested in ship logs from or any other information about the following two Liberty ships that my great grandfather, Lorentz Larsen Skorpen,  served on during the years of 1943 to 1945. They were the SS John Hay and the SS John P Poe. Is that something that anyone can help me with?

• Re: Seeking ship logs of SS John Hay & SS John P Poe
          Hannah Bingham Adventurer

Dear Ms Seim,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located a series titled Armed Guard Logs, 1943 - 1945 in the Records of the Bureau of Naval Personnel (Record Group 24) that includes a “Smooth Log” from 28 December 1943 through 21 August 1944 and a “Smooth Log” from 24 August 1944 through 31 December 1945 for the SS John Hay. It also contains “Copy of Rough Log kept by Ensign Gordon Rohde Dewart “ from 27 May 1943 through 28 August 1943 and from 11 September 1943 through 15 November 1943, “Armed Guard Log” from 14 December 1942 through 4 April 1944, and “Smooth Log AGO” from 7 March 1945 through 30 June 1945 for the SS John P. Poe.

We also located a series titled Armed Guard Files, 1934 - 1946 in the Records of the Office of the Chief of Naval Operations (Record Group 38) that includes cargo lists, crew lists, and voyage reports for the SS John Hay and the SS John P. Poe.

For access to and/or copies of these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!