2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2020 9:56 AM by Robert Simmonds

Seeking commission & photo of Lt. Edward Appleton

Robert Simmonds Newbie

Where are they held? Photos were once held at US Army Carlisle, but trying to penetrate this site is next to impossible. Once upon a time it was somewhat easier than now. I HAVE GIVEN UP! The photo I am interested in is that of Lt. Edward Appleton  who served in Battery L 1st Artillery 1863-1864. Also a copy of his commission - which was direct - he was not from West Point.

• Re: Seeking commission & photo of Lt. Edward Appleton
          Lisha Penn Navigator

Dear Mr. Simmonds,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located 53 series pertaining to officer commissions during the Civil War era in the Records of the Adjutant General’s Office, 1762 - 1917 (Record Group 94). Please review the series and contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT1 via email at archives1reference@nara.gov for access to them.

The “official” photograph of an individual is not considered to be permanent federal records by the respective military services and is not retained in a separate collection by the service. However, we searched the Catalog and located Signal Corps Photographs of American Military Activity, (Record Group 111-SC), 1754-1954 that may contain the photograph of Lt. Edward Appleton. For access to and/or copies this collection, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Still Picture (RDSS) via email at stillpix@nara.gov.

We also searched Ancestry and located All Military Results for Edward Appleton. There may be a fee for using Ancestry to access digitized records. However, you may view these records online at one of NARA's facilities for free via a NARA PC. For the nearest NARA location, please consult our web page at https://www.archives.gov/locations/.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking commission & photo of Lt. Edward Appleton
            Robert Simmonds Newbie

Thanks to Lisha Penn for her response. I will follow up on your suggestions.

1. I now have searched my memory and am almost certain that Appleton's picture was accessible through US Army Carlisle and that it was a collection which originated in the Massachusetts MOLLUS. If I remember that stands for Military Order of the Loyal Legion of the United States.... In addition the photos were watermarked (for the lack of a better description) with a logo of some sort which prevented anyone from obtaining a nice photo by direct print online.

2. An obvious question is whether Carlisle now has it. It is impossible to penetrate to them online. Hello! Calling Carlisle, do you read me?