2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2020 10:34 AM by Emiliano Barone

Seeking photo of Monzone, Italy during WWII

Emiliano Barone Newbie

Hi, I am looking for photos of Monzone in the province of Massa Carrara in Italy during the period of World War II. I hope you can help me. It is located near Vinca where the Nazi-Fascist massacre took place. During the war, it was occupied by the Germans and my house was in front of the Nazi command located in the Villa Giannetti. I would be happy to know that there are photographic documents of that period. Maybe some American soldiers managed to photograph something.

• Re: Seeking photo of Monzone, Italy during WWII
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Mr. Barone,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located 117 photographs for Italy. We were unable to locate digitized photographs specifically for the Villa Giannetti, Vinca, Monzone, Fivizzano, or Massa Carrara. Photographs of various U.S. Army, Navy, and Marine Corps activities dating from 1940 to 2007 are in the custody of the National Archives at College Park - Still Picture (RDSS). Please contact RDSS via email at stillpix@nara.gov. RDSS may have additional photos of Italy that have not been digitized.

Since the British tried the Germans responsible for the massacre near Vinca, they may have photographs of the area. We suggest you contact The National Archives of the United Kingdom, Kew, Richmond, Surrey, TW9 4DU, United Kingdom. The website is https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

2 people found this helpful