1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 21, 2020 8:32 AM by Lisha Penn Branched from an earlier discussion.

Seeking information about Herman Mills & Tommy McCullough

Dynaee Mills Newbie

I am looking for my grandfather's and father's records. All I have are names: Herman Cleatus Mills and a Tommy Raie McCullough. McCullough was born in March 1947. He is supposed to be my dad and all I know is that he was a Vietnam vet, but nothing else.  Mills is my grandfather who was born in August 1918. In his pictures, his uniform was brown. Could you point me in the right direction?

• Re: Seeking information about Herman Mills & Tommy McCullough
          Lisha Penn Navigator

Dear Ms. Mills,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series titled Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 in the Records of the Selective Service System (World War I) (Record Group 163) that are in the custody of the National Archives at Atlanta (RE-AT). For access to and/or copies of the records for your grandfather Herman Cleatus Mills, please contact RE-AT via email at atlanta.archives@nara.gov.

You also may wish to request a copy of your grandfather’s Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA’s National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA’s National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO 63138-1002.

We searched the National Archives Access to Archival Databases (AAD) but were unable to locate a Vietnam record for Tommy Raie McCullough. However, we suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Army after 1957 and prior to October 16, 1992 are in the custody of NARA’s National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA’s National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO 63138-1002. Certain information in the records is not available to the general public without the written consent of the veteran or his next of kin.

We also searched Ancestry and located All Military Results for Herman Cleatus Mills; and All Military Results for Tommy Raie McCullough. There may be a fee for using Ancestry to access digitized records. However, you may view these records online at one of NARA's facilities for free via a NARA PC. For the nearest NARA location, please consult our web page at https://www.archives.gov/locations/.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!