2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2020 11:31 AM by Richard Deveau-Maxwell

    Seeking father's SS documents


      I would like to obtain copies of my father's historical records. He was in the SS.

        • Re: Seeking father's SS documents
          Sylvia Naylor Scout

          Dear Mr. Carina,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We searched the National Archives Catalog for any records relating to the Schutzstaffeln (SS).  The search produced the following results.  Within these records, we suggest looking especially at the series titled “Records Relating to Membership in the Schutzstaffeln (SS) of the National Socialist German Workers’ Party (NSDAP)” located on Microfilm Publication A3343 in the National Archives Collection of Foreign Records Seized (Record Group 242) since it may contain information of interest to you.


          You or your representative may view the A3343 Microfilm Publication and any other microfilm publications in our Microfilm Reading Room (Room 4050) at the National Archives in College Park, MD.  Reading room hours are 8:45 a.m. to 5:45 p.m. Monday through Friday, except legal holidays. Prior to your visit, please consult our web site at http://www.archives.gov/dc-metro/college-park/.


          If you would like to view any textual holdings of interest to you, the staff of the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) will be pleased to make the finding aids to these records available to you or your representative in the Textual Research Room located 8601 Adelphi Road, College Park, MD, near the University of Maryland--College Park campus. The Textual Research Room (Room 2000) hours are 8:45 a.m. to 5:45 p.m., Monday through Friday, except legal holidays. The RDT2 consultation room hours are 8:45 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, except legal holidays. No appointment is necessary. Prior to your visit, please consult College Park websites at https://www.archives.gov/dc-metro/self-service-copying.html, and https://www.archives.gov/research/start/getting-started.pdf.


          Also, please note that German Army, Air Force, and Waffen-SS Paybooks (Soldbücher), Service Record Books (Wehrpässe), Basic Military Record Books (Wehstammbücher), and Health Books (Gesundheitsbücher) were returned to the Federal Republic of Germany by the Department of the Army through the US High Commissioner for Germany during 1953 and 1954.  For access to these records, please contact the Deutsche Dienststelle (WASt), Postfach 51 06 57, D-13400 Berlin, Germany. The web site is http://www.dd-wast.de/


          We hope this information is helpful.  Best of luck with your research!


          • Re: Seeking father's SS documents
            Richard Deveau-Maxwell Newbie

            Hi Ray,


            do you know what rank and unit your father was in? If he was an officer I can look him up easily, and find his career summary.