1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 21, 2020 9:20 AM by Lisha Penn

Seeking information on 60th Infantry Regiment, 9th Division

Patricia Francoeur Newbie

I am looking for information or other personnel that may have served with my Uncle, Leonard Charles Francoeur, from February - March 1945. He served in the 60th Infantry Regiment, 9th Infantry Division. He was from Genoa City, Wisconsin. I have some information stating he was with antiaircraft artillery. He is buried in Henri Chapelle Cemetery, Belgium. He entered the service 2/17/1943, trained at Fort Bliss, Texas; Camp Davis, North Carolina; Camp Haan, California; Camp Livingston, Louisiana; and Fort Meade, Maryland. He went overseas on 2/10/1945. His last letter home was dated 3/11/1945 somewhere in Germany. He died of his wounds on March 18, 1945.  Thank You

• Re: Seeking information on 60th Infantry Regiment, 9th Division
          Lisha Penn Navigator

Dear Ms. Francoeur,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 in the Records of the Adjutant General’s Office (Record Group 407) and located regimental histories for 1940 - December 1945; history of campaigns (Maknassy & Sedjenane) for March 22 - April 9, 1943 and April 16 - May 19, 1943 respectively; and after action reports for June 11, 1944 - September 1945 of the 60th Infantry Regiment, 9th Infantry Division. For access to and/or copies of these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

In addition, the information you seek may be contained in his Individual Deceased Personnel File (IDPF). IDPFs from 1940 - 1976 for personnel with surnames that begin with A-L are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL), P.O. Box 38757, St. Louis, MO 63138-1002. For access to these records, please contact RL-SL via email at stl.archives@nara.gov.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

2 people found this helpful