1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 21, 2020 8:31 AM by Lisha Penn

    Seeking photo of Gary Lee Johnson


      I would like a photo of PV1 Gary Lee Johnson, U.S. Army. His service dates were 11/28/1972 to 02/05/1973.

        • Re: Seeking photo of Gary Lee Johnson
          Lisha Penn Navigator

          Dear Ms. Johnson,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          The “official” photograph of an individual is not considered to be permanent federal records by the respective military services and is not retained in a separate collection by the service. If the photograph you are seeking still exists, it will most likely be found in the individual’s Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). However, there is no guarantee the photograph will be present.


          OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Army after 1957 and prior to October 16, 1992 are in the custody of NARA’s National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA’s National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO 63138-1002. Certain information in the records is not available to the general public without the written consent of the veteran or his next of kin.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!