3 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2020 10:37 AM by Jim Lowell

Seeking World War II Field Orders

Jim Lowell Newbie

How would I find specific field orders that were created during World War II, specifically Field Order No 4 on February 29. 1944, see below.  There are other orders I have come across in my research.  Where are they located in military records?  Thanks.

• Re: Seeking World War II Field Orders
          joan stachnik Tracker

HI Jim, you might want to try searching WWII Operational Documents at the CARL Digital Library (link below). I've found a number of Field orders for various units there. Hope this is of some help. joan 

http://cgsc.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/landingpage/collection/p4013coll8.

1 person found this helpful
              Jim Lowell Newbie

Hi Joan,

Thanks for your response to my post.  Might you be able to point me towards the Counter Intelligence Corp,(CIC) which my father joined after he recovered from his wounds suffered in a shelling of a farmhouse in Frasinetta, Italy in October of 1944.  In late 1944, he successfully applied and subsequently joined the Office of Strategic Services as an Intelligence Officer and after the war ended, transitioned to a Counter Intelligence Officer, (Officer #9302) working in Austria.  From a diary entry on May 14, 1945, he notes  "reported to Col. Thill- G 31 (B)  (CIC)"  which I assume is a branch of the CIC.  I have tried to locate any records of the CIC or Col. Thill to no avail.  Any chance you could offer some (more) suggestions as this puzzle comes together, please?

Thanks so much.

Regards,

Jim Lowell

jimlowell4@gmail.com

Adventurer

Dear Mr. Lowell,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1917-1981 (Record Group 407) that includes field orders for some units and located Field Order Nos. 1,  6, 8, 9, 12, and 14 - 18 of the 88th Infantry Division. We were unable to locate Field Order No. 4. For access to and/or copies of these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!