1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 12, 2020 10:00 AM by Rebecca Collier

    Seeking access to non-archival Morning Reports & Rosters

    Elliot Schneider Ranger

      Hello NARA, What is the correct address that I need to request Non-Archival morning reports and rosters from? I wrote to the Army FOIA office and they sent back a letter stating that they are not a holder of records but a resource to let individuals know where those records are kept. In this case the letter states NPRC in St. Louis, MO is the agency most likely to have the records I'm seeking. However the address and email contact and information the Army FOIA office has is not correct. I have received a error saying the email is not recognizable. My question is what NPRC address do I need to write to in order to obtain those Non- Archival records? Thanks

        • Re: Seeking access to non-archival Morning Reports & Rosters
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

          Dear Mr. Schneider,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          According to the instructions on Access to Morning Reports and Unit Rosters, individuals may access the Army Morning Reports and Unit Rosters, dated 1960-1974, that are non-archival by submitting a written request for copies of the records via postal mail or fax. Federal law [5 USC 552a(b)] requires that all requests for records and information be submitted in writing. Each request must be signed (in cursive) and dated (within the last year).


          Please include as much of the following information in your request: the exact unit of assignment ("Company A, 1st Battalion, 116th Infantry Regiment"), a description of the action ("I was wounded and sent to a hospital") and an approximate date ("June 1944"). Without this type of information, the NPRC may be unable to perform a search. You have a choice - either mail a letter or a Standard Form (SF) 180, Request Pertaining to Military Records to the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO 63138 OR fax a letter or a Standard Form 180 to 314-801-9195.


          Only if you wish to review Army non-archival morning reports in person do you need to write to the Army to obtain the required authorization for access to these records.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!


          1 person found this helpful