1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 21, 2020 10:09 AM by Sylvia Naylor

    Seeking information my aunt, a women code breaker

    Jean Dietrich Newbie

      I think my aunt was a code breaker during WWII.  She was very secretive about her activities.  Where can I find information about her?

        • Re: Seeking information my aunt, a women code breaker
          Sylvia Naylor Adventurer

          Dear Jean Dietrich,


          Thank you for posting your question on History Hub!


          In order to try to locate records relating to your aunt’s work during World War II, you need more details about her employment.  You might find such information in her Official Personnel File (OPF) if she was a civilian employee or Official Military Personnel File (OMPF) if she was in the military.


          Official Personnel Files (OPFs) and medical information for individuals who worked for the U.S. government in a civilian capacity prior to 1952 are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis, P.O. Box 38757, St. Louis, MO 63138. The email address is stl.archives@nara.gov. Please include full name used during Federal employment, date of birth, Social Security Number (if applicable), name and location of employing Federal agency, beginning and ending dates of Federal Service. For more information, the web site is http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/archival-programs/civilian-personnel-archival/index.html.


          Official Military Personnel Files (OMPFs) and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1957 and for officers of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after June 1917 and prior to 1956 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. 


          We hope this information is helpful.  Best of luck with your family research!