1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 11, 2020 1:20 PM by Hannah Bingham

    Seeking aunt's Yeoman (F) records


      My great aunt was a Yeoman (f) during World War I. I am trying to find out where I can look for record pertaining to her service.  I do not have her service record number so I can not go to St. Louis to see if they have anything.  Any thoughts as to were else I might look.  I know she worked in Washington, DC area and for some high level Navy personnel. Thanks

        • Re: Seeking aunt's Yeoman (F) records

          Dear Ms. Lass,


          Thank you for posting your requeston on History Hub!


          Yeoman is a rating associated with secretarial work. The women would have been part of the Navy and have military personnel files. We suggest that you request a copy of her Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and medical records of enlisted men and women of the U.S. Navy who were separated from the service after 1885 and prior to 1958 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC. It is fine to write “unknown” for the service number.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!


          [Information provided by Nathaniel Patch, Subject Matter Expert]