1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 7, 2020 11:25 AM by Lisha Penn

    Seeking WWII records using member's service number


      Can I search for records with the member's service number from 1943? If so, how?

        • Re: Seeking WWII records using member's service number
          Lisha Penn Navigator

          Dear Ms. Tracey,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          Unfortunately, most of the military records in the custody of the National Archives are not searchable using a service/serial number. If the person was in the U.S. Army, then you can search the World War II Army Enlistment Records, ca. 1938 - 1946 in the Access to Archival Databases (AAD) using his Army Serial/Service Number.


          Once you have the name of the serviceman, then you may request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). Official Military Personnel Files (OMPFs) and individual medical reports for enlisted men and officers of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.


          Also, you may wish to search Ancestry - Military Records website for digitized images of U.S. military records for various time periods. There may be a fee for using Ancestry to access digitized records. However, you may view these records online at one of NARA's facilities for free via a NARA PC. For the nearest NARA location, please consult our web page at https://www.archives.gov/locations/.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!


          1 person found this helpful